We thank Mr. Schleede for granting permission to post his recent commentary:
January 3, 2011
False claims that “wind farms” provide large economic and job benefits
One would think that by now Obama Administration officials would admit that “wind farms” do not provide large economic and job benefits. However, recent Administration statements suggest the delusion continues and, perhaps, that officials do not understand why their expectations are unrealistic.
False expectations may be due to the infamous “JEDI” model (Jobs and Economic Development Impact model) developed for DOE’s National Renewable Energy “Laboratory” (NREL) by a wind industry consultant-lobbyist. Unfortunately, this “model” (paid for with our tax dollars) has been widely promoted by NREL and DOE and outputs from the model are used by “wind farm” developers to mislead the public, media, and government officials.
Economic models often produce false or misleading outputs because (a) the model itself is faulty, and/or (b) unrealistic assumptions are “fed into” to model, with the result that the models overstate national, state, and/or local job and other economic benefits. In the case of wind energy models, basic flaws and faulty assumptions often include one or more of the following:
1. Ignoring the fact that much of the capital cost of “wind farms” is for equipment purchased elsewhere, often imported from other countries. Some wind energy advocates claim that wind turbines are “manufactured” in the US when, in fact, they are merely assembled in the US using imported parts and components. About 75% of the capital cost of “wind farms” is for turbines, turbine parts and components, towers and blades – so a large share of the “wind farm” cost is for imports. These add to the outflow of wealth from the US and provide no economic or job benefits in the US.
2. Assuming that employment during project construction results in new jobs for local workers — when most “wind farm” construction jobs are short term (6 months or less) and the overwhelming share of them are filled by specialized workers who are brought in temporarily.
3. Assuming that the very few permanent “wind farm” jobs are new jobs filled by local workers – when, in fact, these few permanent jobs are often filled by people brought in for short periods. Some “wind farm” owners contracts with suppliers of wind turbines and other equipment for maintenance work with the result that no “new” jobs for local workers are added.
4. Assuming that temporary workers who are brought in for short periods live and spend their pay checks — and pay taxes — locally when, in fact, these workers spend most of their wages where they and their families have permanent residences — where the workers spend most of their weekends and where they pay nearly all of their taxes.
5. Assuming that the full purchase price of the goods and services purchased locally (often minimal in any case) has a local economic benefit. In fact, only the local value added may have a local economic benefit. This truth is illustrated by the purchase of a gallon of gasoline — let’s say for $3.00. Only the wages of the service station employees, the dealer’s margin, and the taxes paid locally or to the state mayl have a local or state economic benefit. Economic benefits associated with the share of the $3.00 that pays for the crude oil (much of it imported), refining, wholesaling, and transportation generally flows elsewhere.
6. Assuming that land rental payments to land owners for allowing wind turbines all have local economic benefit. In fact, these payments will have little or no local economic benefit when the payments are to
absentee landowners OR if the money is spent or invested elsewhere or is used to pay income taxes that flow to Washington DC or state capitals.
7. Using “input-output” models that spit out “indirect” job and other economic benefits that, in effect, magnify (a) all of the overestimates identified above, and (b) use unproven formula and data to calculate alleged “multiplier” effects.
8. Ignoring the environmental and economic COSTS imposed by “wind farm” development, which include (a) environmental, ecological, and economic costs associated with the production of the equipment, and constructing and operating the “wind farm” (e.g., site and road clearing, (b) wildlife habitat destruction, noise, bird and bat kills and interference with migration and refuges, (c) scenic impairment, (d) neighboring property value impairment, and (e) infrastructure costs.
9. Ignoring the fact that electricity produced from wind turbines, has less real value than electricity from reliable generating units — because that output is intermittent, volatile and unreliable. Also, the electricity is most likely to be produced at night in colder months, not on hot weekday late afternoons in July and August when demand is high and the economic value of electricity is high.
10. Ignoring the “backup power” costs; i.e., the added cost resulting from having to keep reliable generating units immediately available (often running at less than peak efficiency) to keep electric grids in balance when those grids have to accept intermittent, volatile and unreliable output from “wind farms.”
11. Ignoring the fact that electricity from “wind farms” in remote areas generally results in high unit costs of transmission due to (a) the need to add transmission capacity, (b) the environmental, scenic and property value costs associated with transmission lines, (c) the electric transmission “line losses” (i.e., electricity produced by generating units but lost during transmission and never reaches customers or serves a useful purpose), and (d) inefficient use of transmission capacity because “wind farms” output is intermittent and unpredictable and seldom at the capacity of the transmission line that must be built to serve the “wind farm.”
12. Ignoring the fact that the higher true cost of the electricity from wind is passed along to ordinary electric customers and taxpayers via electric bills and tax bills which means that people who bear the costs have less money to spend on other needs (food, clothing, shelter, education, medical care — or hundreds of other things normally purchased in local stores), thus reducing the jobs associated with that spending and undermining local economies that would benefit from supplying these needs.
13. Perhaps most important, ignoring the fact that the investment dollars going to “renewable” energy sources would otherwise be available for investment for other purposes that would produce greater economic benefits. “Wind farms” have very high capital costs and relatively low operating costs compared to generating units using traditional energy sources. They also create far fewer jobs, particularly long-term jobs, and far fewer local economic benefits. “Wind farms” are simply a poor choice if the goals are to create jobs, add local economic benefits, or hold down electric bills.
Glenn R. Schleede
Round Hill, VA 20141-2574
Allegheny Treasures Note: “Mr. Schleede is the author of many papers and reports on energy matters. He is now retired but continues to analyze and write about federal and state energy policies, particularly those affecting wind energy.”
“Until retiring, Schleede maintained a consulting practice, Energy Market and Policy Analysis, Inc. (EMPA) Prior to forming EMPA, Schleede was Vice President of New England Electric System (NEES), Westborough, MA, and President of its fuels subsidiary, New England Energy Incorporated. Previously, Schleede was Executive Associate Director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (1981), Senior VP of the National Coal Association in Washington (1977) and Associate Director (Energy and Science) of the White House Domestic Council (1973). He also held career service positions in the U.S. OMB and the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission.”
“He has a BA degree from Gustavus Adolphus College and an MA from the University of Minnesota. He is also a graduate of Harvard Business School’s Advanced Management Program.“
For the best Home Loans Texas has to offer look no further than Resolve Mortgage. They understand the best mortgage rate for your current situation. Not everything is looking for the same type of mortgage and a mortgage broker can get you the ideal type of mortgage so you can have a home loan that suits your situation.
When purchasing a house, it’s important to know what your mortgage payments may look like. Resolve Mortgage has the best Mortgage Payment Calculator Texas has seen. The calculator considers your current situation and makes it simple for you to calculate your mortgage payments.
Have you found that dream home? Well if you have Resolve Mortgage can help you get some great financing. With their Austin Mortgage Lenders, they can position you for the best mortgage rates for your situation. Not every home buyer makes the same amount and has the same credit history so you need a team that understands every kind of loan and can position you for the best economic livelihood. It’s a huge decision so Resolve Mortgage can help get you some peace of mind.
Are you looking for one of the best Mortgage Companies in Dallas TX, then look no further? At Resolve Mortgage you’re getting the best mortgage lending group working on your behalf with lenders. Resolve understands mortgage lending and they can get you the best mortgage rates in the market. When it comes to home lending you can’t get a better partner.
One of the biggest decisions one could make is buying a home. A home loan can last up to 30 years, so it is a huge economic decision for a buyer. For this reason, it’s extremely important that you choose the best Mortgage Lenders in Houston TX. With the Resolve Mortgage group, you can get a team that exceeds all your expectations.
Resolve Mortgage has the best Mortgage Broker San Antonio has to offer, this is why so many choose their services. One of the big decisions one can make is buying a house and so you need to go with the best. So, before you reach out to home lenders individually and try and negotiate yourself a rate reach out to the mortgage brokers that can help you save and get you the best bang for your buck.
For the best Full-Service Medical Billing Provider for Remote QA & Coding, Credentialing & Healthcare Management Services look no further than Dominion Revenue Solutions. Receive service from Experts and Specialists that’ll help you stay compliant with government regulations and guidelines. Contact Us Today!
If you’re looking for quality medical billing companies, look no further than Dominion Revenue Solutions. Our team of specialists in healthcare reimbursement offers best-in-class revenue cycle management for your home health care business.
Stay Up to Date with the help of the best in Medical Billing Services Company Houston Tx has to offer. We work hard to make sure your credentials and contract rates are up to date to help you stay competitive in the Dallas market. Our comprehensive reviews ensure that your rates with insurance providers are as competitive as possible. Up-to-date credentials and rates mean you are bringing in maximum revenue.
For the best Dallas Medical Billing Company for your billing needs, Dominion Revenue Solutions is here for you. We use our in-depth knowledge of the home health care industry to clean up your claims with fewer patient appeals.
We can clarify Hospice Billing Services guidelines for your practice. Dominion Revenue Solutions is your premier source for simplified guidelines for Medicare hospice providers. We aim to provide our clients with clear guidance on their billing needs and simplify common misconceptions.
With all the reimbursement and provider identification changes over the last few years, are you sure what those values are anymore? Are you getting reimbursed the full amount allowed for your specialty in your geographic region? Have your contracts aged and/or self-renewed without a thorough review? With our Medical Credentialing Services, we can help provide solutions to these.
For Healthcare Revenue Cycle Management services that can help hospitals, clinics, and health systems look no further than Dominion Revenue Solutions. Discover the best in claims processing, payment, and revenue generation. Contact Dominion Revenue Solutions Today!
Once you purchase your investment property, you must decide on a property management company, but be wary of management companies that charge less because they may not be upfront about all their fees. Pyramis Property Management Fees in San Antonio are straightforward, and nothing is hidden. We do not try to sell you additional services that you do not need.
We can provide you with the best possible comprehensive service in San Antonio. Our Property management maintenance in San Antonio Texas includes: helping you with any property related issues that may arise during your property’s lifetime. We work with reputable vendors that have been thoroughly vetted.
Property Management Sales are significant for investors. The sales can be used to invest in other areas of real estate. They can be used to buy or sell properties that have a high potential for growth. Having a good Property Management Sales in San Antonio is vital. We will manage and help all our clients purchase and sell homes that are not only affordable but also provide a high return on investment.
If you’re thinking of Cleaning Solar Panels by yourself, don’t! It is a very arduous task and takes a lot of work to do properly. Delegate that task to a company with years of experience and known as one of the best Solar Power Companies Austin Texas has. With a company like Solar Service, you get the peace of mind knowing that if you need the best Solar Panel Cleaning Service Austin has to offer you’ve reached out to the best.
After spending on a Solar Panel System and going through the process of equipping your house with this you want to make sure that you leave nothing to chance. Get maintenance service with Solar Service they do Solar Panel Maintenance in Austin and at great price points.
When you work with them you have not only the best in Austin but one of the best Solar Power Companies San Antonio has. If you’re looking for Reinstallation or are looking for Solar Panel Cleaning Service San Antonio solutions look no further.
Try them today and get cleaning and Solar Panel Maintenance in San Antonio set up so that at least you know your solar panel system investment is safe. And don’t worry if you’re in Dallas Texas since they are known as one of the greatest Solar Power Companies Dallas Texas has. So reach out to this reputable company today.
Has the time come for you to install Solar Panels Austin? Let Solar Services show you that it’s about more than saving money. You’ll be doing your part to protect the planet when you put the sun’s rays to work for you.
San Antonio Solar Power Companies have exploded in popularity in recent years, as more business entities have discovered what the sun’s rays can do for them. Let Solar Services usher you into a new era of clean, renewable power.
Are you thinking of installing Solar Panels Dallas? There has never been a better time, and Solar Services is the company that can show you the way. Let us explain to you why harnessing the sun’s rays is great for your wallet and the environment as well.
Solar Farm Cleaning Texas deserves can be found Solar Service. Excellence is in their DNA when it comes to quality of service. They offer Solar Panel Cleaning, Solar System Inspection, Solar Removal and Reinstall for Re-Roof, and much more. Solar Peace of Mind is Just One Call Away.
Solar companies in Austin can’t compare to Solar Service. As the number one solar company in town, they offer repair, maintenance, and cleaning services, and more.
When purchasing a home that has solar panels, it’s best to learn as much about them as possible. San Antonio solar company, Solar Service can come out, explain the system, and answer any questions to help any homeowner succeed.
When buying a solar home in Austin, solar panel cleaning is an absolute necessity. Having panels cleaned regularly and correctly can ensure the longevity of the panels.
When considering the maintenance for solar panels, San Antonio company Solar Service gets the job done right. With experienced professionals on the job, Solar Service is second to none.
In need of some Solar panel inspections, maintenance or repairs? There is no other option for these services than Solar Service. Their professionals are experienced and will not only get the job done right but will answer any and all questions.